John Robert's Funeral

  • From: "Bates, Hal" <HBates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:04:44 -0400

I am sad to report that one of our scout leaders, John Roberts, died
suddenly of a heart attack yesterday.

An Eagle Scout and member of the Order of the Arrow, John was President
of the Cherokee Council and instrumental in the merger with the Old
North State Council. He served as an Assistant Scout Master for our
troop for over 16 years and was a registered member of the Boy Scouts of
America for over 40 years. John had the honor to take a contingency of
Eagle Scouts to Philmont and to the Northern Tier Scout base. A James E.
West Fellow, John also received the Alamance District Award of Merit and
the Silver Beaver Award. He led and encouraged more than 48 Boy Scouts
to the rank of Eagle. He was forever proud of each young man who reached
this rank.

A memorial service will be held Friday at 11 a.m., in the sanctuary of
First Presbyterian Church, 508 W. Davis St., Burlington, with the Rev.
Ronald Shive officiating. Pews have been reserved for Eagle scouts
attending the service.

Memorial donations may be made to the UNC Dept. of Physics and
Astronomy, CCB # 3255, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, the Old North State
Council BSA, Camp Scholarship Fund, 1405 Westover Terrace, Greensboro,
NC 27408

Hal Bates
Scoutmaster - Troop 17
http://www.ScoutTroop17.org <http://www.scouttroop17.org/>