(no subject)

  • From: "Krzysztof Kowalczyk" <krzysztofk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ScintillaNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:37:43 -0700

1. VS.NET doesn't run On Linux. I'm trying to build my code for multiple
platforms.

If that's the case, then msbuild is out as well

2. VS.NET doesn't have support for prebuild/postbuild tasks.

As someone mentioned, you can run arbitrary script as prebuild/postbuild task

4. I need it to run outside the development environment.

You can. Read http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/builditemincontextmenu.asp for more info.

In general, I think two issues are mixed up here:
* building the code
* doing other stuff with it (like running unit tests etc.)

On Windows, if your VS.NET project is up-to-date, you get building from command line via devenv.exe for free. I don't see a reason to redo that in any other way.

You still have to figure out how to build on non-Windows and do it by hand but, unless it gives you building on windows for free, no need to use that in place of devenv.exe.

As to "doing other stuff" - clearly VS.NET is not the tool for it. But building via devenv.exe can be a part of the process, regardless of the tool used for doing the overall build.

Krzysztof Kowalczyk

http://blog.kowalczyk.info

Web Page: http://tinyurl.com/yvoh2