[sarcmembers] Re: 160m Antenna

  • From: Niko Cimbur <ac6dd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:20:54 -0700 (PDT)

I can see the platform on Google Earth.  From the air it looks like a pretty
good spot

I don't know what the Club's antenna plans are, or even how much interest there
is for something like this, but if vertical antennas could be set up outside
the fenced area the capabilities are big.

To offer some ideas, the following are just my opinions in what I would set up
to utilize the benefit of a site like that.

The large crank-up tower lying on the ground behind the club house could be set
up in the NW area inside the fence with a 40m yagi.

An 80 m 4 square could be set up in the clear area south of the fence below the
two roads.

160m Vertical antenna in the area by the boresight platform.

I don't know what effect the large tower would have on various antenna
patterns, but farther any antennas are from the tower probably the better.

The Club location looks excellent for VHF/UHF, but for HF I would consider it
only a little better than flat terrain.

This means to get a low takeoff angle for horizontal antennas you need to go to
1/2 wl or so above ground.  For a dipole on 80 meters this is 120' high,but you
probably all already know this.  Just to get a  visual look I am attaching a
terrain analysis I made for the Club site, and also a comparison with the
remote site.

Niko - AC6DD