[SaoMai] Fw: Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, July 9, 2009 - Volume 216

  • From: "Dang Hoai Phuc" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <saomai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 20:56:21 +0700

Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 216
----- Original Message -----
From: Dean Martineau
To: phuc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 3:03 PM
Subject: Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, July 9, 2009 - Volume 216

Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 216
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology

Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
http://www.flying-blind.com/

For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at
dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology
training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at
affordable prices.

To make certain you receive each Volume of Top Tech Tidbits, please add
enews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to your address book.

If you experience any problems reading this Newsletter, you can access this
Volume of Top Tech Tidbits on the web at:
http://www.flying-blind.com/tttenews/07092009/index.html

Greetings!

Greetings to all who are commemorating the 159th anniversary of the Martyrdom
of the Bab, and who are working to free the falsely-imprisoned Baha'is in Iran,
as well as all other persecuted people.

I am looking to combine two favorite activities, travel and tech training, so
if you would like some very reasonably-priced personalized technology training
or computer setup services, let's talk. As an example, I'll be in the
Denver-Colorado Springs area in the near future, so could provide training
there or somewhere along the route. Users there and elsewhere can combine for
mutual benefit for all.

1) In keeping with my policy, I try only to mention products when one can
actually buy them. So I'm pleased to see that we can now buy the Book Sense, a
new reading device from Gw Micro. Those considering such a purchase may find
the chart comparing the available portable players worth consulting.
http://www.gwmicro.com/BookSense/Comparison_Chart/
Wayne Merritt's blog has some thoughts about the Book Sense as well as lots of
other interesting technology news and thoughts:
http://wayneism.blogspot.com/

2) The accessibility of the iPhone continues to be a lively topic. Rather than
citing many resources, I'll direct you to a wiki which seems quite
comprehensive and is frequently updated with new resources as they become
available:
http://blind.wikia.com/wiki/IPhone

3) Subscribers to the major iPhone accessibility mailing list on Google Groups
decided to start a list where they can socialize as well as discuss their
favorite Apple products. To join, send a blank message to
apple-socialize+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or visit
http://groups.google.com/group/apple-socialize?msg=new&lnk=gcis

4) The iPhone has also generated a lot of discussion about photography; there
is a lot of useful information and support for any visually-impaired person
wanting to get into photography, and a good starting point is the Blind
Photographer's Blog
http://blog.blindphotographers.org/

5) The Solona service is a great way to get around the problem of captchas,
those web sites that require you to type text you see in a picture, which of
course screen readers cannot read. They have created a free little program to
make the process of decoding a captcha easier, which you can download from your
account on the Solona page:
http://www.solona.net

6) Solona will be the topic for the next Accessible World online training on
GMT Tuesday, 14 July at 00:00.
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rsc9613dc89eb2

7) Speaking of both Accessible World and accessible mobile phones, yours truly
will be leading a panel to discuss the various accessible cell phone options on
Accessible World on Monday, July 27 stateside (28 July GMT.) If you have
questions you would like answered, or any other pertinent input, please e-mail
me.
dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

8) T and T Consultancy will again this year be podcasting from Sight Village,
the large European blindness-related technology event. They've already started
creating daily audio files, and the gathering goes forward next week.
http://www.tandt-consultancy.com/pages/podcast_blog.php

9) Marco has prepared a well-documented comparison of how five screen readers
handle WAI_ARIA, web 2.0, content using Firefox version 3.5. It's called the
The WAI-ARIA Windows screen reader shootout
NVDA wins, followed by strong performances by JAWS and Window-Eyes and weak
performances by System Acces and SuperNova.
http://www.marcozehe.de/2009/07/01/the-wai-aria-windows-screen-reader-shootout/

10) Drs. Amy McKenzie and Susan Smedema of Florida State University are
conducting an online survey about social supports and life satisfaction in
persons with visual impairment. They seek participants.
http://www.survey.coe.fsu.edu/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=n40Ln62

11) Gw Micro now offers a version of its Braille Sense notetaker with a qwerty
keyboard.
http://www.gwmicro.com

12) Rigel Technology is offering more of their $75 2-hour online trainings.
Registration by phone or e-mail is required in advance. These all start at
21:00 GMT: Wednesday, 15 July: Books, Books and More Books; Monday, 20 July:
Internet Faxing; Thursday, 30 July: Paypal and E-Bay; Friday, 4 August:
Thunderbird E-mail Client. Call 888-723-5011 Ext. 1 or e-mail
cleblond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Tidbits and Flying Blind,
LLC Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of every Newsletter titled
"Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.

Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to
interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When
doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing
them to the tidbits website (see below.)

Tidbits is intentionally concise, but I know a lot of people don't understand
many of the items because little explanation is given. If a Tidbit brings up a
question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I'll answer as time, knowledge and
inclination permit.

Visit the Tidbits page at http://www.topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.htm where
you can subscribe to the RSS feed and grab back issues. All that welcome
information for future issues can come to me at dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People can subscribe to Tidbits via e-mail: tttt-join@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Make sure to get all 4 T's into the address!)

      | Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |

            Forward This E-News

            This email was sent to phuc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx by
enews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribeT | Privacy Policy.

            Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights | OH |
44121