[sanesecurity] Re: [sanesecurity-mirrors] DatabaseCustomURL

  • From: Gerard Seibert <gerard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sanesecurity Mirrors <sanesecurity-mirrors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:01:26 -0400

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:47:05 +0100
Steve Basford <steveb_clamav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> articulated:

> I received the below email, which does raise an interesting question.
>
> I've already had a quick play with the option and it does indeed work
> as advertised.
>
> Obviously, the downside of using the DatabaseCustomURL command is
> that:
>
> a) it downloads the whole database file, even if only 1 signature had
> been added to the file, while using the rsync method - just the
> changed are send, thus saving bandwidth
> b) no checks are made for security eg: pgp signature and/or sha256
> signature.
>
> Aside from setting up an additional rrdns eg.  db.sanesecurity.net,
> mirrors would have to provide http access to the database area (not
> just rsync) and would also
> have to cope with a lot more bandwidth use.
>
> Any thoughts on this, as I'm sure this question will pop up again...

Since there are sites that require access via rsync, and since
"Freshclam" does not support that protocol, I think the OP is going to
find that his "KISS" principal does not apply here. If it were me, I
would just consider this another idea whose time has not come.

Perhaps the OP can list his specific problems with the scripts
presently available for his Windows platform and what their limitations
or problems he is having with them are specifically. I have no personal
knowledge of the Windows based scripts. The *.nix based ones as far as
I can tell, and obviously mine in particular, are pretty much "set it
and forget it" applications. How much simpler than that can it get?

--
Gerard ✌
gerard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx