[sanesecurity] Re: jurlbl signature name stability

  • From: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:42:52 +0100

Steve Basford wrote:

On the sig names I add in the "line number" at the end of the signature name, in order to make generating a local.ign file easier.

As you've found, with signatures that aren't static, the line number is worthless as it keeps changing per update and so you
can't  add it to a local.ign file either :(

Bill's script does allow better "tracking" of signatures, so you might want to take a look at that, as a starting point.

The other problem is that if a user presents a bounce message with say signature "Sanesecurity.Jurlbl.Auto.13" by the time you take a look, the line number might have changed, so you can't find the actual domain in the email.

So, I'm going to change the Jurlbl.Auto name to this format - removing the line number and instead adding an md5 hash of the domain/url:

Sanesecurity.Jurlbl.Auto.e7b45ef2ba29f63c1adbfe038e017125

If a user presents "Sanesecurity.Jurlbl.Auto.e7b45ef2ba29f63c1adbfe038e017125" to you, you can grep it on the jurlbla.ndb file, find the hex, eg; "2e7069676d6f6e65712e636e2f" and then decode it to : ".pigmoneq DOT cn/". If you can't find it...you know the signature has already been
removed and you can probably forget about it.

If the above format make sense, then I'll try and implement it.. and Bill will no doubt do the same with the INetMsg-SpamDomains

What's stopping you from continuing to use the same format, but making the signature name stay the same for a particular signature each time a new file is generated?

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/