[sac-forum] Updated SAC databases are available

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:42:57 -0700

Howdy all;

A new release of all four databases from the Saguaro Astronomy Club is now
available on the SAC website:

http://saguaroastro.org/content/downloads.htm

There is information on over 10,000 deep sky objects-galaxies, clusters and
nebulae.

Information on over 2,000 multiple stars.

Information on over 130 asterisms.

And information on over 300 red stars.

All four databases are distributed in a zip archive that contains written
documentation as a simple text file and the data in three formats:  a simple
text file with a vertical "fence" between fields, a text file that is comma
delimited (Quote Comma Quote or QCQ) for use in a database manager and an
Excel spreadsheet file.

Many years ago we set out to create a data reference aimed at someone with a
modest telescope under good skies and I believe that we have met that goal.
For that reason there will be no more releases of new databases from the
Saguaro Astronomy Club.  We will maintain an errata file that will provide
information about errors or additions to the data.

There is a listing of names within the documentation for each database and
will not repeat those here, but I would like to thank all the people who
have helped to make this information as error free and useful as possible.
Many planetarium programs and other software have used the data within these
programs and lots of observing lists have been created using the files.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe