[sac-forum] Red-shift, Doppler, and Relativity

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 07:04:51 -0700

Hi,

Related to last night's presentation...

I was unaware of the general relativistic effect on
photons... I knew Hubble initially assumed doppler
shifts. Somehow I missed any mention of this other
effect. I know people were arguing about "tired photons"
at one point and I think that was rejected.

Guess the books I read about this when I was young were
already out of date? :-)

Anyway, our lecturer last night did a great job.
I definitely learned something!

This is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift:

Expansion of space

Main article: Metric expansion of space <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space>

In the early part of the twentieth century, Slipher, Hubble and others made the first measurements of the redshifts and blueshifts of galaxies beyond the Milky Way <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way>. They initially interpreted these redshifts and blueshifts as due solely to the Doppler effect, but later Hubble discovered a rough correlation between the increasing redshifts and the increasing distance of galaxies. Theorists almost immediately realized that these observations could be explained by a different mechanism for producing redshifts. Hubble's law <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble%27s_law> of the correlation between redshifts and distances is required by models of cosmology derived from general relativity that have a metric expansion of space <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space>.[18] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift#cite_note-Eddington-18> As a result, photons propagating through the expanding space are stretched, creating the cosmological redshift <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_redshift>.

There is a distinction between a redshift in cosmological context as compared to that witnessed when nearby objects exhibit a local <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_reference_frame> Doppler-effect redshift. Rather than cosmological redshifts being a consequence of relative velocities, the photons instead increase in wavelength and redshift because of a feature of the spacetime <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime_topology> through which they are traveling that causes space to expand <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space>.[27] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift#cite_note-27> Due to the expansion increasing as distances increase, the distance between two remote galaxies can increase at more than 3×108 m/s, but this does not imply that the galaxies move faster than the speed of light at their present location (which is forbidden by Lorentz covariance <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_covariance>).

Thanks,

Howard