[sac-forum] NGC2174 from 2 Jan 2014

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 11:59:17 -0700

Hi,

I have posted a new image of NGC2174 at:

http://www.astroshow.com/Nebulae/NGC2174.html

I used H-Alpha for the "red" image.

Had LOTS of trouble stacking LGB and H-Alpha images
in Maxim DL. Discovered that "FILTER" in the FITS Header
must say "Red" and not "H-Alpha" in order for stacking to work!

Edited the headers of the H-Alpha images to say "Red" and
then everything stacked as expected. Took me about 8 hours
to figure out what was going on!

The "FILTER" name in the FITS header comes from the filter
names you put into Maxim DL.

Choose your names wisely, i.e., "Red", "Green", "Blue",
"Luminance". Other names lead to weird stacking problems
that are almost impossible to diagnose...

Be prepared to edit the FITS Headers if you have files with
other "FILTER" names that you want to stack.
Maxim DL does allow easy editing of the FITS header data...

Thanks,

Howard