[sac-forum] Re: How you get Spam

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:48:48 -0700

> See the report at:  http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml
>
> SAC's web site is bad for having plain-text E-mail addresses.  Although it
> tries to hide the E-mail addresses from human users, software can easily
> extract the plain mailto: fields.

I have one of the "Web pages for Dummies" books, and it gives a very simple
Javascript solution for this problem.  I'm sure that Stan knows how to do
this already, but I'll include it here as an example....

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
var addr1 = "mailto:";
var addr2 = "guitarfixer"
var addr3 = "@"
var addr4 = "precisionguitar.net"
document.write('<A HREF="'+addr1+addr2+addr3+addr4+'">')
document.write('Email. </A>')
//-->
</SCRIPT>

This is the code I use on my shop's web page, and I believe that it works
well as I don't get nearly as much spam from this account as my astronomy
one.

Thad