[sac-forum] Re: Heads Up for Observing

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:32:12 -0700

My observations follow:

Last Call

Pegasus

By Richard Harshaw

All sites are suburban unless otherwise noted

NGC 7839

========

Not found. Not in the WDS either. See attached DSS plate of area.

NGC 7839.gif

NGC 1

=====

8-inch SCT at 104x: Its axis runs SE-NW.  It is a faint smudge located above
a wide pair of 10 mag pairs.

Discovered by Heinrich d'Arrest in 1861.

NGC 7084

========

Not observed.

Stephan's Test

==============

I had originally submitted an observation and DSS plate of this asterism in
the March 2011 Saguaro Skies, but deeper investigation of another DSS plate
leads me to believe I observed all AROUND this little grouping. See attached
photos.  I will need to try again for the tight little E-W chain shown in
the DSS plate.

Stephan's Test Orig.gif

Stephan's Test.gif

Stephan's Test 15min.gif

NGC 7331

========

8-in SCT at 104x.

Superb!  It was bright and mottled, with a N-S axis.  At high power, a hint
of a dust lane emerged on the W side.

11-in SCT at 187x (15mm Lanthanum).

Wow!  A long, narrow ellipse, very bright and easy; it looks a little
brighter in the S end.

Discovered by William Herschel in 1784, it is 64,000 light years in
diameter.

NGC 7331 is one of the brighter galaxies which is not included in Messier's
catalog. It exposes a fine spiral structure despite its small inclination
from the edge-on position. Several companions and background galaxies are
visible even in our photo.

NGC 7331 was among the earliest recognized spiral galaxies, and listed by
Lord Rosse in his list of 14 spiral or curvilinear nebulae discovered before
1850.

NGC 7479

========

8-in SCT at 104x.

Faint, and not helped much by high power.  It looks like a NE-SW blur, with
a 13 mag star 3' N.

William Herschel discovered it in 1784.

This is a Seyfert galaxy with a nuclear jet (Laine and Gottesman, 1998).

It was discovered by William Herschel in 1784.

Supernova 1990U occurred in NGC 7479 on July 27, 1990 at 22" W and 54" S of
the galaxy's nucleus. It was detected by Pennypacker, Perlmutter and Marvin,
and reached mag 16.

Richard Harshaw

Cave Creek, Arizona

Brilliant Sky Observatory