[sac-forum] Call for Hercules

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC Forum <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:26:26 -0700

With the Independence Day holiday coming up I thought a post for the July constellation worthwhile.  Perhaps some of us will get lucky enough to get out under dark skies without any smoke in the sky.  As has been the case, here are the objects for Hercules cut straight from the newsletter article.

Our July constellation is Hercules.  I've chosen the following order that is not by NGC or RA, but by a somewhat convenient sequence to minimize star hoping.  So, its on to the objects.  First is the white-eyed pea, better known as the planetary nebula IC4593 located about 3.8° southwest of omega Herculis. As with all planetary nebulae look for color, blinking effects and try any and all filters at your disposal. Second is Abell 2151, the Hercules Galaxy Cluster, and is found about 50’ east of 5 Herculis or almost centered on NGC6047.  The SAC database notes there are 20 galaxies 14th to 15th mag.  How many do you see in your telescope?  Now slew northeast to NGC6210 (that’s NGC6210 and not the erroneous NGC listed last month) another planetary nebula located about 2° southwest of 51 Herculis.  Continuing our northward jaunt take a look at, visible in an 8X50 finder, M13.  At one time, a long time ago, I had difficulty determining which side of the Keystone to search.  A technique I’ve found helpful is to go to the constellation Lyra and find the stars gamma and beta Lyrae, the pointer stars for Alberio – hang with me now I'm getting there.  Instead of going there, go the other way, these pointer stars bring you just north of the Keystone.  M13 is on the other side of the Keystone from Lyra!  While on globular clusters, continue north to 4.8° east of northeast from tau Herculis and find NGC6229.  Finally, slew southwest, to within 2.8° southeast of chi Herculis and find another planetary nebula, NGC6058.  Remember with all planetary nebulae look for color, blinking effects and try filters.  If you don't have any, try to borrow one for a friendly observer!

Go out and get a look at these beautiful deep sky objects, consider what you are seeing, take some insightful notes and pass them on to us!

Clear, and smokeless, skies to all
aj