[sac-forum] August Call

  • From: "acrayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:59:38 -0700

Now is the time for us to submit observations for the month of August.  As in
the past, here’s the list straight from the prior newsletter.  Please submit
your observations to me by July 23rd in order for me to complete the column and
get it to the editor to meet our publication deadline.  Thanks a lot.

For August we will meander around the upper reaches of the summer skies
starting with two show-pieces.  First is M 27, the Dumbbell, a well know
planetary nebula.  It easily fulfills its description of very bright and very
large.  Next is the, relatively, nearby M 57 another magnificent planetary
nebula.  Yes it to is bright and pretty large for a planetary.  What other
descriptions can you add for both of these planetaries?  What about the central
star in the Ring?  Now we’ll move on the Cepheus and spend some time here on a
variety of objects as we work our way northward.  The first is NGC 6946 a late
type spiral galaxy, one of the nearest spirals that has a good bit of detail.
How many stars can you count down to, say, 14th mag?  No wonder it is on the
110 Best of the NGC and Herschel 400 lists.  While there take a look at the,
very, nearby galactic cluster NGC 6939, which contains about 80 stars in an 8’
area.  Count what you can see in your telescope and give a magnitude range.
Going a little more northward is another galactic cluster NGC 7142 that is also
considered rich and compressed with 100 stars.  It is also on the Herschel 400
list.  Nearby is another galactic cluster NGC 7129 that is faint, larger and
involved in faint nebulosity.  Inching more northward is the popular NGC 7023
that includes a 7th mag star in a faint complex of nebulosity.  NGC 188
requires a big jump to the north.  It is rich, larger and faint containing 20
stars with brightest at 12th mag.  This is the nearest galactic cluster to the
north celestial pole.  Speaking of the NCP take a look at NGC 3172, the nearest
NGC to NCP. It is named Polarissima Borealis, yet if faint and round.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ..