[sac-forum] Re: 09-28 Meeting - Amateur observatory in Phoenix

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:37:23 -0700

On 09/29/12 18:26, Gene A. Lucas wrote:
> Max Kaufman was a local architect and member of the Phoenix Astronomical
> Society when I first moved here.
> There is another photo in S&T of a model he constructed of one of the
> Kitt Peak scopes.

  Max Kaufman's working 1:16 model of a 70" reflector which LPL planned
to build on Mount Lemmon was featured on the cover of the September,
1971 issue of Sky and Telescope. The model's 4-1/4" f/11.8 primary and
1-1/4" secondary mirrors were fabricated by Max Bray. I haven't found
any references to models of telescopes on Kitt Peak that he constructed,
but the index capabilities for the S&T archive aren't all that great.

  Does anyone know if LPL ever followed-through with construction of the
actual telescope? They list a 1.8 meter telescope on their web site, but
it's clearly not based on the Kaufman model and is located on Kitt Peak.
That's not to say that they didn't build the telescope described in 1971
and have since decommissioned the instrument.

                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx