[sac-board] Digital Projectors

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC Board <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:39:33 -0700

Digital Pojectors are starting to come down in price.  800x600 SVGA
projectors are now in range of a club purchase.  It's only their
resolution that limits its usability by the club.  The club need at a
minimum native 1024x768 (XGA) for good video and image projection.  Even
better is 1280x1024 (SXGA) for images.  This last resolution prices units
at more than $10,000, WAY out of our range.  The XGA category for DLP
projectors are now in the mid-$3000.  More than $1000 drop in the past
year.  As these prices get low, their rate of decline should increase.  We
should be in a nice position for a purchase in a year or two, when
performance reaches our price range.

The bulbs are currently running $400 to $450 and are rated 1000 to 2000
hours of operation.  At our usage rate, thats less than $100 a year.

  http://www.techtv.com/news/computing/story/0,24195,3387130,00.html

The above is for DLP projectors which uses a chip with a million-plus
mirrors.  These chips offer a 90% fill rate while LCD projects only get
70%, which means images are brighter and have better contrast on DLPs than
LCDs.  Also DLPs have less motion blur in video over LCDs.

This said, the prices on LCD projectors have really fallen.  That $1000
price drop I mention - that was comparing LCD projectors.  A 1280x1024 LCD
projector (1000 lumens) can be had for about $1700.  This huge price drop
was most likely caused by the introduction of DLP projectors which are
much brighter.

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/details__cat_id--456,prod_id--6436468,de_id--200.html

I still think we should wait at least a year before making a purchase.

BTW - These DLP projectors will most likely kill off big screen TVs or at
least replace them.  Why buy a 40" to 60" when you can get an 80"+
projector that's less than 5 pounds. :-)