Re: Specifying parameters to the toolchain (components to link, target board)

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 20:36:55 +0000

On 18/03/15 19:06, Martin Lucina wrote:
A couple more things have come to mind from the discussion so far which I
think are worth bringing up:

1) We don't currently have a way of modifying the link list used for
linking a Unikernel image, i.e. saying which Rump Kernel components are
wanted or not. So, for example, I had to add -lrumpnet_local to the default
list for Xen to get MySQL to run as it needs AF_UNIX (and it is not
possible to disable this).

Now, I think that the default should be "the kitchen sink", however
advanced users should have a better way of overriding that default than
editing the app-tools specs and rebuilding.

I have no idea (yet) what that better way should be, but something like an
environment variable RUMPRUN_LINK_COMPONENTS might be a start.

2) For baremetal, we will eventually (for ARM) need to provide a way to
specify a 'target board' for the images. Again, RUMPRUN_TARGET_BOARD is the
first thing that comes to mind.

Again, you identify real problems.

Again, intermediate pseudo-linking is one way to solve these issues without imposing tracking of environment variables on the user.