Re: Elixir meets Rumprun unikernel

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 12:04:29 +0000

On 03/09/16 20:47, Neeraj Sharma wrote:

Hi,

You can now run Elixir applications on Rumprun unikernel and from
platforms point of view its a complete reuse of the work which I did
last year for Erlang microkernel. This is primarily due to the fact
that Elixir eventually compiles to Erlang bytecode and by virtue of my
original decision to keep Erlang (on rumprun) untouched has paid off.

Sounds cool. That said, the only meaning I know for "Elixir" is a brand of guitar strings, and I assume you're not talking about them. Can you summarize what Elixir is in one sentence?

I'm not surprised that keeping things which don't need to be touched untouched pays off -- sort of the whole point of the anykernel and rump kernels -- but I'm happy to see that people are independently reaching the same conclusion ;)

This work is primarily a sample project to demonstrate the same rather
than any changes in rumprun-packages. Take a look at
https://github.com/neeraj9/hello-elixir-rump as to how it can be done.

Is it going to eventually be in rumprun-packages, or is your work not something which can be considered a "package"?