[rsc] Your request to Resources for Social Change

  • From: "Sheila Kerrigan" <kerrigan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <milburn.ashley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:27:58 -0400

Dear Ashley,
I just read the note you sent to Hope Clark, saying that you have tried to
contact the Resources for Social Change four times. I apologize to you our
not responding. I am so sorry we have not replied in a timely fashion.
Alternate ROOTS is a coalition of artists in the Southeast who work in and
with communities to create change. Resources for Social Change is a group of
ROOTS artists who teach artists and community members about this kind of
work. We conduct learning exchanges, and usually they happen at the request
of a community or artists working in a community. We tailor each learning
exchange to the needs of the community and the issues they want to address.
We usually reply to requests for learning exchanges, but, obviously, not
always. There is no RSC staff, although Alternate ROOTS has a small staff.
RSC meets monthly or twice-monthly on the phone, and once or twice a year
face-to-face. Because of the usual funding issues, there is little or no pay
for most of the work RSC trainers do. RSC members currently are working on
learning exchanges that will take place in Charlotte, NC, Charleston, SC,
Atlanta, GA, Lexington, KY, and Eastern Maryland in June and July. I think
I'm saying our little coalition is stretched thin right now.
If you would like one of us to call you to talk about what you have in mind
for Baltimore, please send me a phone number and some times that might be
good to talk with you. If you'd prefer to communicate by email, you are
welcome to communicate with me, and I'll talk to members of RSC to see who
might be the right fit for your community. There are some visual artists who
might be right.
Your road to nowhere project looks so exciting to me. In Durham, NC, there
was a similar project that also tore up neighborhoods and removed people
from the thriving center of Durham's African American community. The racism
underlying the project reeked.
Again, my apologies for our non-response.
Best,
Sheila Kerrigan
kerrigan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2310 Stansbury Rd
Chapel Hill NC 27516
919-929-1624
Check out my book, The Performer's Guide to the Collaborative Process:
www.collaborativecreativity.com
www.heinemanndrama.com/products/E00311.aspx