[rsc] Some ideas for online discussions and the June retreat

  • From: Hope Clark <hopeclark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:12:49 -0400

Hello RSC,

I've been thinking about the June Retreat.

My proposal is to have a study session on Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed and to look closely at the principle descriptions as laid out in the workbook.

If people would like to start some dialogue about them through e- mail, I'm game for that. For instance through interviewing Frank Martin last week about the principles, he brought to my attention that aesthetics basically means awareness.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aesthetic
German ästhetisch, from New Latin aestheticus, from Greek aisthētikos - of sense perception, from aisthanesthai - to perceive

Like the opposite of Anesthesia: Loss of feeling or awareness http:// www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2246

So social justice aesthetics, might simply mean the awareness of social justice when creating work, events or actions in our communities.

peace.
Hope