[rsc] Re: Proposal for RSC and Cucalorus 2010

  • From: "Melanie St. Ours" <melaniest.ours@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:54:00 -0700

I am interested in shadowing at this LE if possible.

On Aug 30, 2010, at 5:48 AM, Hope Clark wrote:

Dear RSC,

Attached is a descriptive proposal for for RSC and Cucalorus 2010.

Last year we did it on $1050 and our fees were $174.25.
This year may be 3 LE's, in one week's time if we can arrange that.
I proposed $1000 for this LE with the idea that Cucalorus would match that, but I am not sure that is actually going to happen.

Last year our expenses were $700. This included our travel and food with Connie, Willie and Francine. This food part was really important. It allowed us to spend time and listen to the three of them. One dinner I had was just with Willie and that was very important for building trust and understanding where exactly he was coming from before having the public Learning Exchange. Dan covered our hotel room, and of course the space was at his playhouse.

Our travel was a little over $500 and we had some material costs.
I think we will need a meetings with leaders from each church before the LE.
 $300 for materials and food for these meetings and the three LE's
$600 fee for the week for each of us = $1200 gives us a total of $2000.

best,
Hope
Proposal for RSC Learning Exchange in Wilmington NC with Cucalorus

Last year, Ebony Golden, Hope Clark, documentary filmmaker Francince Decoursey, Willie Earl Vareen, Connie Tindall, and Dan worked together to arrange a Learning Exchange after showing a work in progress about the Wilmington 10.

After the Learning Exchange, Francine Willie, and Connie, organized LIVING HISTORY EVENTS in schools, churches, and organizations to great acceptance, and connected with a woman who helped to put together ‘Teacher's Guidelines’ for discussion They also formed the Wilmington Ten Foundation for Social Justice.” One of the participants in the LE created a fundraiser with her students who wrote poems for members of the Wilmington 10 which Connie and Willie attended. Connie and Willie also had computers donated to them.

Dan started to establish relationships with two churches in Wilmington NC last year, one is the New Beginning Christian Church, whose mission identifies itself as a multi-ethnic, and multi- cultural http://newbcc.com/. Ernie Thompson is the contact there. Dan knows of Ernie Thompson’s presence in the community, and that he has expressed concern about the arrangement of school populations. The other is the First Presbyterian Church of which Dan’s mother is a member of and was one of the first ministers on staff. Dan describes this church as not having a lot of ethnic diversity, and having plenty of money and influence.

Dan plans to ask each church what issues are of concern to them and if they are interested in being part of a Learning Exchange. He will share his interests, and do some research on the education activist movement in Wilmington.

From our conversation and viewing of some films Dan and Hope thought that the team could show excerpts from a film called ‘Freedom Riders’ to start a dialogue about segregation and integration of the school system in the 60’s and the effects of that process. Also in mind are excerpts from another film that illustrates the rising hate groups of today. The films would be a starting off points for dialogue about cultural communication, leadership, education activism, community health and present day student achievement.

Hope and Ebony would continue their work with Dan by leading a workshop in each church with plans of having another one afterwards that combined people from each church. The idea would be to find folks that are or may be interested in the topics of cultural issues related to community policies and outcomes of student achievement. They may be also involved in the school system and interested in education activism. They would come together and participate in another Learning Exchange based on a film called ‘The Lottery’ about charter schools today.

The idea is to gather knowledge about the issues of this topic and create methods of engaging community members with creative ways of addressing the cultural aspects involved in the politics of education. Dan is sending Ebony and I the films and other in full for us to review and develop our work.

<Proposal for RSC Learning Exchange in Wilmington NS with Cucalorus.docx>