[roundtable] Links to Google Accessibility information

  • From: "Round Table - Administration" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roundtable@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 06:16:05 +1100

The email (below) is forwarded on behalf of Neil Jarvis.

The information is circulated for the information of list subscribers.

While Round Table strives to make the information circulated on this list as
relevant, timely and accurate as possible the circulation of information on
this list does not constitute endorsement by Round Table.

Folks,

One of the issues we in the blind Foundation are becoming more and more
involved with is the accessibility/usability of the online applications
hosted by Google.

Services such as Google Docs, Google Drive and others are becoming widely
used in schools and in the  work-place. We’re even seeing them make headway
in the home user market.

They are replacing, in some cases, the long-established Office applications
which we all know well, not least because of their “in the cloud” nature,
but also because of their  collaborative capabilities: several people at
once can work on a single document at the same time and their changes get
saved automatically and immediately. You can imagine the attraction that has
to teachers in classroom situations, or bosses in businesses. You can also
readily imagine that they have always posed a major access problem for
screen-readers, and while this has improved markedly in recent months, it is
still a significant challenge.

One of the aspects of my work at present is to work on this, with the
schools and employers in  New Zealand who are adopting this  platform, but
also with Google themselves so that we can try to influence them in some
way. In New Zealand, Google is basically a sales operation with no real
representation from the engineers or the developers. I am planning  to visit
the team in Sydney at some stage early next year, and I’m hoping  to visit
Google’s accessibility team (yes they have one, and  a very active one) at
their  head office on my way back from the CSUN conference next March.

I am guessing that some of your organisations may be noticing this rapid
take-up of Google services, so I’m pasting below some links  which  may be
of assistance  in getting your heads around what they do provide  in  terms
of access. Ultimately, a trans-Tasman approach on all of this will be
helpful. We might even  think of getting them along  to a Round Table
conference!

Google Drive Blog

 <http://googledrive.blogspot.co.nz/> http://googledrive.blogspot.co.nz/

Use a screen reader - Drive Help

 <https://support.google.com/drive/topic/1631585>
https://support.google.com/drive/topic/1631585

Google Docs accessibility - Docs editors Help

 <https://support.google.com/docs/topic/6048194>
https://support.google.com/docs/topic/6048194

Google Forms accessibility - Docs editors Help

 <https://support.google.com/docs/topic/6048717>
https://support.google.com/docs/topic/6048717

Google Sheets accessibility - Docs editors Help

 <https://support.google.com/docs/topic/6052233>
https://support.google.com/docs/topic/6052233

Google Slides accessibility - Docs editors Help

 <https://support.google.com/docs/topic/6050892>
https://support.google.com/docs/topic/6050892

Get started in Google Drawings with a screen reader - Docs editors Help

 <https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6058689>
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6058689

Neil Jarvis

ED Strategic Relations & Accessibility

Blind Foundation

Te Tūāpapa o Te Hunga Kāpō

121 Adelaide Road, Newtown, Wellington 6021

PO Box 27177, Marion Square 6141

Wellington

P: 09 355 6998 x6998

M: 021912154

F: 04 389 5254

Email:  <mailto:njarvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
njarvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 <http://blindfoundation.org.nz/> Blindfoundation.org.nz

<http://www.blindfoundation.org.nz/support-us/legacies?utm_source=Legacies&u
tm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Staff+Signaturehttp://> Image removed by
sender. Campbell, 11, who is blindHow will you be remembered?

Leaving a gift in your Will makes an ongoing difference in
the lives of New Zealanders who are blind or have low
vision. Ask us how to
<http://www.blindfoundation.org.nz/support-us/legacies?utm_source=Legacies&u
tm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Staff+Signature> leave a gift in your Will
today.

Follow us on  <http://www.facebook.com/rnzfb> Facebook and
<http://www.twitter.com/rnzfb> Twitter

#
This email, including any attachments, is intended solely for the
addressee(s)
It is confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, disclose,
distribute
or otherwise use it or the information in it. Please notify the sender at
once
and delete it from your system immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the Blind Foundation.
The Blind Foundation does not accept responsibility for any viruses or other

malicious code that may be transmitted with this email.
#

<https://fundraise.blindfoundation.org.nz/Blind_Week_Donate?utm_source=Staff
&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Blind%20Week> Elaine holds a Blind Week
Bucket

"My journey of hope and help started when I met the Blind Foundation team,"
Elaine, 42, mother of two.

Please support Blind Week on Friday 31 October and Saturday 1 November by
<https://fundraise.blindfoundation.org.nz/Blind_Week_Donate?utm_source=Staff
&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Blind%20Week> donating online today.

#
This email, including any attachments, is intended solely for the
addressee(s)
It is confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, disclose,
distribute
or otherwise use it or the information in it. Please notify the sender at
once
and delete it from your system immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the Blind Foundation.
The Blind Foundation does not accept responsibility for any viruses or other

malicious code that may be transmitted with this email.
#

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image