[rollei_list] visit to Rollei

  • From: Dirk-Roger Schmitt <Dirk-Roger.Schmitt@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:13:19 +0100

Thanks to Emmanuel for his nice report.

I have some nice photos available from the production hall during reconstruction, from inside, taken last year. I only have to upload them.....

I remember the years 1982/1983 or so, when all the buildings were full of stuff Rollei was selling after bankruptcy.
I remember the whole flour of the Kraemer Hall was covered with hundreds of tablets and boxes containing parts, cameras, lenses, flashes, made in Singapore, for final selling. The stuff looked like it was just taken from the production line in Singapore and brought to the hall. It included half or fully assembled Rollei 35, Rolleimatic,.... E 36 RE,.
It included fully assembled Rollei SL 35 E cameras without grinded film tracks (I was wondering who did assemble that and when).
All material was marked as "defect" and was sold for prices like stealing them.
However, a lot of gear only had minor defects which could be repaired very easily.
So you could get some type of depression seeing all the nice gear from a production was going just away due to closing down the factory. :-( :-(

I regret that I did not take any photo there :-( and that I only bought a Rolleimatic and not much, much more gear.... What a pitty! :-\

Greetings

Dirk