[rollei_list] Re: new direct b&W slide film by Rollei

  • From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:46:31 +0000 (GMT)

Heavily snipped:

----- Original Message ----
From: "bigler@xxxxxxxx" <bigler@xxxxxxxx>
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, 3 October, 2006 9:24:56 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: new direct b&W slide film by Rollei

Why does red light sensitivity actually impairs the resolution of a
film ? I have noticed for example that the FTM curve of a color film
is not as good in the red layer as in the blue layer. Is it simply the
more complex structure of a panchro film vs. an ortho film than
degrades resolution ? or what else ?? I cannot imagine that it is only
a question of wavelength-related diffraction effect, since 320 lp/mm
are equivalent to a blur spot of about 3 microns, this is 4 times
bigger than the limit wavelength of "actually visible" red light at
about 750 nm.
--
Emmanuel BIGLER
<bigler@xxxxxxxx>

I had always assumed that it was indeed a scattering of light in the layers of
a pan film that led to the loss of definition, but could it simply be that
there's more sharpness without the red sensitivity that just makes it more
possible to differentate between lines at such fine resolutions? But if YOU
don't know, Emmanuel, I'm sure I don't! ;)

Nick

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html