[rollei_list] making prints

  • From: Newhouse230@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:24:43 EDT

Hi Mark Rabiner,
Thanks for your response.

You object to my saying that I 'file' prints in  binders.
Actually I do file the prints, Mark. I put the digital file  name on each
and have an index that allows me to locate the print within the  collection
of binders.

Regarding the paper I use; Epson Ultra Premium  Glossy....Wilhelm Imaging
(who I'm sure you are familiar with) rates the Epson  k3 pigment ink on this
paper as giving a print with 300 years dark storage and  100 years if framed
with uv-filtering glass.   So I'm not sure why you  say "glossy paper is
not archival".  I don't think you can accurately make  such a statement
without considering the specific paper, the ink that is  used on it.
  Do you have some conflicting data I could  see?

   I DO use 100% rag for my mat board, of course if  I'm preparing a
mounted print for display or sale.

   As for the sheet protectors I use, they are  POLYPROPYLENE....not PVC.
They are regarded by archivists, as  'archival'  and Avery R+D Dept said
that off-gassing is not an  issue.  Perhaps you have some contrary data here as
well? ....or  maybe you thought I was using PVC which definitely does
present a  problem?   This polypropylene is often used in negative storage
products sold by major stores such as Adorama and B+H for example.

  As for these page protectors being "aesthetically  really awful" I agree,
but they serve my purpose;  remember,  this is for storage not for display.

  As for it being tough to 'work in  a vacuum' I'm  not sure why you think
I do, but I just thank my lucky star that I have helpful  folks like you to
straighten me out.

Regards,
Charlie Silverman

The  'filing' these images takes place not in the  printing but in the
putting them in hard drives after scanning. And glossy  paper is not
archival
I'd use rag paper if any kind of permanence issues are  in mind.
Those pages are for the birds.
They are aesthetically really  awful and don't add to archival aspects but
make them questionable. They trap  gasses.. People don't use them.
Its hard working out of a vacuum with no one  to ask.
It helps to take classes and know other photographers face to  face.

Mark William Rabiner

> From:  <Newhouse230@xxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:55:42  EDT
> To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [rollei_list]  Re: Making Prints
>

> I print about 300-400   8"x10" per year on an Epson R2400  pigment inkjet
> printer.  I  file the prints in acid free sleeve  protectors in very
large 3
>  ring binders.   Everything gets printed on  Epson Ultra Premium  Glossy
for
> purposes of 'filing' these  images.  All my digital  files are backed up
on two
> additional hard  drives plus DVD.  (that's how much I trust those media)
>
>    A lot  of the recent work, unfortunately is not  Rollei- captured,  I
>  expect to start scanning a large number of my Rollei  negatives next
year.

>    I printed with wet chemistry off  and  on for 40 years. After a back
> injury made it impossible for me  to be  bending over trays I was
fortunate
> enough find digital  printing. As much as I  loved  results of 'wet'
work, it's
>  nice that I will be able to continue  printing no matter what
limitations  age
> brings.
> I've gotten somewhat skilled in Photoshop and find  that I use  the same
> mentality as I used in the darkroom. If you  know what  good  print
should look
> like in wet work,. you will  no doubt be able to  create them in digital
> printing as  well.
> It's not rocket science.
>
> Charlie  Silverman

- Post to  rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Subscribe at  rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'
in the subject field OR  by logging into www.freelists.org

- Online, searchable archives are  available  at