[rollei_list] Re: looks like ... Agfa Scala

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 05:58:53 -0700

On 5/30/05 8:39 AM, "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:

> Mark, the characteristic curves is linked to the
> process used to develop the film. Kodaks says." A
> characteristic curve is a graph of the relationship
> between the amount of exposure given a film and it's
> corresponding density after processing. (Kodak)".In
> other words the difference that you can see between
> the APX 100 and the Scala in the Agfa technical sheet
> is originated because they were made considering two
> processes different completely, negative process for
> the APX 100 and positive process for the Scala, more
> the push and pull process for the other curves in the
> graphs for the Scala. The curve for the Scala would
> change if processed like a negative film.
> In the other hand, the Spectral Sensitivity shows the
> film behavior without the development process
> influence, and then it shows that the APX 100 and the
> Scala are identical for the way they capture the light
> reflected from the subject, it coincides with the
> historic data saying the Scala is based on the APX
> 100, a different thing is the film processing and the
> characteristic curve after the process.
> It would be very interesting to compare the Scala and
> APX 100 characteristic curve after to process both
> film using Kodak D 76, in example.-
>
> All the best
> Carlos

Except that Agfapan 100 in use is one of the most wide range and smooth
films out there. And the results you'd get from a Scala slide in use would
be the opposite of that. The direct opposite. A VERY short tonal scale being
a slide.
So saying they are the same to me kind of gives off the wrong message in a
confusing way.
Chief Justice Scala himself even said this in his last address.
He said "Phooey on Agfapan 100!"
Then hit his hammer.

Mark Rabiner
Photography