[rollei_list] Re: e: OT: Leica vs. CZ lenses

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:08:42 -0500

At 02:40 PM 11/16/2009, Thor Legvold wrote:
>Hi Jan,
>
>He found the 85/2 Sonnar, the others I found myself. Apparently (Marc
>disagrees) there were several versions, and most are a bit soft.

Thor

Please be precise. I have never suggested that there are not several variants of the 2/8.5cm and 2/85 Sonnar.

What I dispute is the Henry BS bit about the lenses being "soft". They are not so, nor were they, as Henry seems to have opined from his customary pinnacle of ignorance, intended as a soft-focus portraiture lens. We have the complete documentary history of this lens and it was intended as a razor-sharp reportage lens and was marketed exactly as that.

I have NEVER seen or heard of a "soft" 2/85 Sonnar save for the lenses which have been serviced by someone like Henry who probably does not know what they are doing and gets the elements out of order of the like. The lens was intended to be as sharp as it could be, and it is so.

If you EVER receive a "soft" 2/85 Sonnar, get it over to someone like John Van Stelten who knows what he is doing and, obviously, keep it as far as possible from Henry as you can, as he seems to have demonstrated an ignorance of how to properly service the lens. It would be nice for him to admit that he doesn't know what he is doing. Instead, he invents the bogus tale of the 2/85 Sonnar being a "soft" lens and nice guys like you fall for such claptrap.

It is best to avoid the Henry BS lectures and his many foolish statements. We have been studying the Contax RF system and the CZJ lens output for some decades, and Henry occasionally pops out with some corkers which run directly in the face of known facts and a strong documentary trail.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!