[rollei_list] Re: "a hundred identical Feds" (was: April 1: Leica mystique -- some help!)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:47:15 -0500

On Friday, April 1, 2005, at 01:50  PM, Jan Decher wrote:

> Ardeshir et al.
>
> For all these thick Leica propaganda quotes you gave us I can only
> "retaliate" with the following website written by someone who pokes
> great fun at the "Leica mystique" yet at the same time knows how to
> use it for what it was intended:
>
> GEN X Leica Slacker
> http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/

The guy is PERFECTLY correct. His photos do suck, there is absolutely
no justifiable         reason to own a Leica, a Leica owner is not
necessarily a great photographer, and yet the camera does impress
others when worn around the neck (for no reason at all, even.)

Heck, even my f/3.5 Automat does that! People on the street have said
to me: "Tessar! It's the best". And you should have seen the admiring
looks the airport security chaps gave me re. my 2.8D with Xenotar.

And what's wrong with hype? The Porsche 911 is also hype, but still
it's a great car. It's just that even a stock Ducati 996 - like the one
in *The Matrix Reloaded* - can blow away most Porsche 911s within a
quarter mile from a standing start!

The author is also right when he writes:

[QUOTE]

[Q]: Why the hell did you buy a Leica then, you dope?

[A]: Well, there were a couple reasons, they're mostly made moot by the
overriding reason which was "I could afford it." Basically I think of
it as a reward to myself for my photography getting to where it is now.

[END QUOTE]

It's a great thing, to give oneself a reward! And it's a great thing to
be able to afford it. (He could hardly have "rewarded" himself with a
hundred identical Feds, though he probably could have afforded them all
too.)

Cheers!