[rollei_list] Re: ZM

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 09:20:27 -0500

Carlos,

I would second this. The story is told on the Zeiss website (The Making of Zeiss Ikon). I have no idea why they show the Contaflex in chapter 1 and not the Contax IIa or IIIa.... http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/Contents-Frame/ 51174405A82B6ADCC125722900400C68 The references to the classic Contax in the design are too faint in my eyes. Wonder if Henssler & Schultheiss were actually give a classic Contax to take their design cues from. There is much more of a "wanna be Leica" in this design, which really disappointed me when I first saw the ZM.

They could have picked up some things Leica never had or no longer has: a mechanical selftimer, the slide-off back, the little finger wheely for focussing (see how even the Kyocera Contax G2 picked that up...) and the angled corners that mark all postwar higher end Zeiss cameras from Contax to Contarex...
Jan

From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list]
It is a new design Thor, Cosina manufactures the camera body and lenses using a K-8 Zeiss tester machine under Zeiss engineers supervision, but the new Zeiss Ikon camera was designed from scratch, Carl Zeiss talked about to contract the camera design with Porsche Design and Henssler & Schultheiss that designed some Zeiss Ikon cameras in the past, CZ finally decided to contract Henssler & Schultheiss to design the camera.If you pay aention about the camera design, you'll see it has something ressembling Contax II- IIa design (the silver version specially).-