[rollei_list] Re: VERY OT: Help Keep the Music Flowing!

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:29:44 -0400

Do they broadcast on-line?
I tried that link you sent me, and I got this You Tube video, but no audio.
Am I missing something?

On Mar 24, 2010, at 7:13 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

There is a Big Band and Swing station in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, just outside of Cleveland. They are a non-NPR publicly supported station based at a High School. They have two very underpaid employees, the Manager and the Engineer. All of the regular air staff are volunteers, many of them air staff from back in the Longago.

During the current fund drive, they have been going dark on the overnight, from 11 PM to 7 AM. I called the Manager today to mention this, and he must have known who was calling (I am a constant pest when they go quiet) as he just started by saying, "Look, we just did a $13,000 upgrade to our software and we're having some installation issues." I make very few telephone calls. I was impressed that he would know who was calling. I did not give my name -- I suspect that he would prefer me to lose their telephone number!

I give them $50 a year. I felt REALLY humbled. If I had $13,000, I'd pay the bill. Maybe I ought to sell off my collection, even though I am not a collector?

In any event, no donation is too small. $5? $10? They need it all. This station, thanks to its web stream, ranges from Germany and Russia to Alaska to Australia, and THOSE folks are paying. <http://www.wkrr.org >

Help keep the music flowing. They do broadcast a lot of grand music, from Sinatra to Keely Smith. You will probably not find the same anywhere else.

Sorry to go off-topic!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!