[rollei_list] Re: TeleRolleiflex

  • From: Bob James <starboy0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 19:23:19 -0500

Allan,

I enjoyed your Rolleiflex story.  Hopefully mine is about to begin.  Just
pulled the trigger and ordered one from B&H.

I remember once in the 60's sometime a family friend brought one over and I was
fascinated with the image on the ground glass (how big it was) and the
composing lines.  I sensed he was very proud of this camera and I had no idea
why until I started researching the Rolleiflex a few weeks ago.

Have done the Minolta XG7, Nikon FM, and back to the Minolta thing.  Then I saw
some medium format contact prints.  Wow!  It was an epiphany.  I realized this
could be the ticket.

Something to say about a manual film camera.  Film captures the light with that
soft edged charm that digital ultimately and unforgivingly pixelates.  Thinking
about aperture, shutter speed, and depth of field creates an investment in the
image that autofocus, autoexposure, and autoschmato conveniently relinquish.

So I'm excited to get my first Rollei!  I'm getting a Rolleinar 1, red filter
and polarizing filter with it.  Have already secured a 5 pack of Tmax 400, a
roll of Fugi Velvia, and 3 rolls of Ilford 3200. I love the way those spools
(big!) feel in my hand.

Bob James
Aurora, IL