[rollei_list] Re: Subject: Friday Off Topic Question (Leica 90s)

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:13:03 -0400

At 09:56 AM 5/15/06 -0400, you wrote:
>Marc et al. :
>
>I am on a similar quest.  Would you stay away from the 90 Elmarits when
>it comes to 90 for Leica?
>The 4/90 is a neat lens too. I guess if you shoot mostly 400 ASA or
>higherspeed  B&W, it is a great choice.  For chromes the f4 widest
>opening could be quite limiting.
>
>Will you try the new Zeiss Ikon M mount 2/85mm Sonnar?  I suppose it
>should bring up the 90mm frame on an M3.
>It seems to be quite large.  Wonder if Carl Zeiss, Oberkochen, sells
>enough of them t break even...

Jan

I have owned and used every version of the 90mm Elmarit and they are all
really good lenses.  The best optical lens in the current Leica M range is
the 2.8/90 Elmarit, albeit it is a large lens and I sold mine to get the
2/90 ASPH Summicron.

One nice thing about Leica 90mm and 135mm lenses up to 1984 was that they
could have their lens head removed for use with an adaptor on a PLOOT oir
Visoflex reflex housing or on the bellows, to allow some really neat macro
work while preserving focus to infiinity.

I'd not really thought about purchasing one of the new Zeiss lenses but,
since you mention it, I might pick one up if I can find one at a friendly
price.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!