[rollei_list] Re: Roller reflections, Part XXXVII.

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:20:08 -0300

I dedicated a roll to the issue, I got the roller reflection under
these three conditions: 1)Lens wide open; 2)Slow shutter speed. 3)A
very significant overexposure, three or four f/stops over the right
exposure. I did not get it if some of these three points were absents;
it were the excessive amount of light during a certain time and the
direct light entering close to the film plane bottom (lens wide open)
that caused the reflection. It's interesting to note that _I did not
get the reflection with the 3.5F under similar conditions_.
My conclusion was/is that the roller reflection is a camera age/camera
general condition/exposure combo, being Dennis' FX an exception (he
also gets roller reflection sometimes with this camera) to confirm the
rule, otherwise there is no explanation to the fact some cameras show
the problem and others cameras never show it. The fact the technical
Rollei factory areas never received a comment or complaint about the
problem along 36 years (Prochnow) leads to the same conclusion. After
my "tests", I also think the film chamber black paint condition has to
do with the problem, it can look right, but it could lose its neutral
and light absorbent condition after a lot of years.

Carlos