[rollei_list] Rolleiwide rebuild update 2

  • From: "Allan Derickson" <alland435@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:34:53 -0700

In my last update I had the shutter working properly. There was a little
problem finding the right spring for the cocking lever. Turns out the one
from Collect Camera was not the right one. As a backup I had concurrently
searched on Ebay for small extension springs and found some that matched
very closely the original Rollei part. So that is what I used. The wire
diameter is slightly smaller than the stock part but the length and coil
diameter are spot on. I had a mental block at removing the wind mechanism
plate but fortunately was able to fit the spring without having to do this.
This meant that I also could not get into the focus mechanism to clean and
lube it. I may get the National Camera publication that covers this to
determine whether I want to attempt this or not. I did clean and lube the
gears and parts I could remove and replace easily.

The initial trial with the crank attached before I buttoned it back up was a
disappointment. As I wound the crank the shutter did not fully cock and the
shutter blades opened and closed slowly. Some investigation revealed that
the cocking ring was not traveling far enough - it needed another 0.5mm and
Rollei specifies an additional 0.5mm after you hear the last click of "over
travel". Fortunately there is an easily accessible adjustment for this.
After tweaking this everything worked perfectly.

My new leather hasn't arrived yet but the paint is dry and I must say the
camera looks very nice: a 100% improvement over the old scratched, chipped
and dented surfaces. It isn't perfect to collector's standards by any means
but it is something I can be proud of carrying around. I focused the viewing
lens to infinity. Since I didn't mess with the focusing system the taking
lens should be at what it was when then camera was last used. I put a roll
of film in and am testing it empirically both at infinity and at close
distances. The feeler rollers sensed the beginning of the film and the
counter works properly. The wind feels smooth. The focus feels smooth but
somewhat stiff.

I hope to develop the roll of Tmax 100 this weekend and see the results of
my efforts.

Allan-