[rollei_list] Rolleiflex SL66/SL66E/SL66SE info

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:31:39 -0500

Frederic,

I have had an SL66 and also briefly owned an SL66SE. I moved on to a Contax 645 and may move back to the SL66SE because I prefer the square format and the instant close-up capability.

It's a great but heavy camera. Magazines can be tricky, but once you get it right it's pretty foolproof. I strongly recommend you borrow and handle an SL66(xx) before you buy one. If you need the metered SL66E or SE be prepared to spend 1200-1500 EURO for the body and HFT Planar.

A good buy? I certainly think so, because I already miss the close- up bellows and the instant retro-mounting capability of the lenses. None of which you need for portraits. So, I would also check out a metered Hasselblad if you mostly do portraits. (Hey, I am selling my Contax 645 - off list please... ;-)

The SL66 is reasonably portable and can be shot handheld but not without some awkwardness. It is easier to use with the waistlevel than with an eyelevel finder (though the SL66's 45 degree model helps). Definitely slow and heavy. Lenses are relatively reasonable, excellent glass (esp. HFT) and you can attach almost any Schneider or Linhof LF lens to the SL66 front standard with the right adapter.

The Scheimpflug capability is limited to 8 degrees up and down, so only in one plane. Helps to get more depth of field in a horizontal or vertical (if you turn the camera 90 degrees) receding plane. Not capable of correcting for vertical parallels in architectural photography!

More here:  http://www.sl66.com/

Jan

======================
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:05:14 +0100
Subject: [rollei_list] Rolleiflex SL66/SL66E/SL66SE info
From: Frederic Vanwalleghem <info@xxxxxxx>
Dear all,
I'm a photography student and I'm looking for a rollei sl66. I found the
price to be around 700 euros with the planar 80mm HFT lense.
Could you give me some info about that lense and camera?Is it really that
sharp? And how does the Scheimflug DOF work exactly?
My goal is to make portraits, take it with me on the road, and use it
slowly, like a slow camera has to be used.
Is this a good buy? I have experience with the +Yashica C, but I miss the
lightmeter in that camera, so maybe I'd better buy a SL66E?
All info is welcome
Thank you
Frederic Vanwalleghem