[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8C and two developers

  • From: Chris Burck <chris.burck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 21:42:59 -0500

OK, I don't want to get into a semantic debate where we are just repeating
the same thing over and over.  But as I said, your reasoning is logical,
but it doesn't apply in this context.  These developers are mixed into
stock solutions.  The fact that the stock solution can be used undiluted to
process films, does not change the fact that it is the stock solution:
even if it is the dilution you normally work with, to refer to it as
"working solution" instead of "stock solution" or "full strength", will
encourage miscommunications.

If you look at Ilford literature on these developers, they are quite
consistent in referring to stock solution by that name.

Of course, this isn't exactly how T-Max RS works, because the typical
dilutions do not extend conveniently.  If standard dilution is 1:4, to take
some of this solution and dilute it further to 1:9 is inconvenient since it
isn't a direct ratio.  Not to mention the fact that this new dilution can
no longer be incorporated back into the original working strength mixture
(especially since 1:9 is not a one-shot dilution, or at least, doesn't have
to be).  In other words, the normal practice is going to be to mix the
entire bottle of concentrate at the same dilution, and keep it that way.