[rollei_list] Rolleiflex 2.8 TLR

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,ZICG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 09:25:11 -0400

Think 2.8A if you wish, though, when it was in production, it was simply the Rolleiflex 2.8.

After twenty years of effort, I finally obtained one of these. This is the original 1949 model (Prochnow 155, though he tried to contend originally that all of these cameras came with a Zeiss-Opton Tessar, where the original 2.8 came with a Prewar CZJ Tessar which had been coated long after its manufature. Mine is in grand condition save for the viewing system: the mirror needs resilvered and the hood needs de-buggered, though it is complete and entire. I will contact Harry to see if he wishes to climb this particular mountain.

Body s/n:  1101379
Viewing lens:  2.8/8cm Hiedosmat-Anastigmat 818878
Taking lens:  2.8/8cm CZJ Tessar T 2310997
Shutter:  Compur-Rapid, B, 1 second to 1/400 second, number not visible

I swapped a rather decent Leica IIIf RDST with 1.5/5cm Summarit for this. Rarity never determines value, of course, but, at the final light of day, Franke & Heidecke made 7870 of the original 2.8 while Leitz made more than 70,000 IIIf's.

I am as happy as a tortoise with a fresh bale of kale.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!