[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Serial Numbers - Manufacturing Date?

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:53:42 -0300

2011/8/18 Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>:
> My SL 66 has the number 2909661
> The Planar is No. 4689756.
>
> Any idea when it was produced?
>
> The instruction manual says E 0168 on the back so would be from January
> 1968. Interestingly enough the manual included an original sales receipt of
> this camera from "Ashraf & Co. Ltd. - Kuwait".  The handwritten date says
> 23/9 but no year.  Price was 198,000, whatever the currency was there at the
> time (?).
>
> A formidable machine. I would not handhold an SL66 below 1/30 sec.

Jan:
      Regular serial numbers for the SL 66 are from 2.900.000 up to
2.927.800 from October 1966 to 1980, in 1980 started the coded
numbers. My SL 66 has the S/N 2914594 and the CZ Distagon 4/80 the S/N
4957126; the 4/80 Distagon for the SL 66 was manufactured from 1970,
my Distagon S/N is very close to the CZ Planars S/N made for the
firsts 2.8F white face (CZ 5.xxx.xxx)from 1972, my SL66 is a bit
beyond the middle of the series, the production was about identical
for the first 8 years and then my camera body would be from about
1973. I'm the third owner for this outfit and according the second
owner (my seller) the original owner bought camera and lens brand new
and then I'm pretty sure my camera and lens were manufactured about
1972/73 (I'd include end of 1971 for the lens).
It looks like 1968/69 is a good date for your camera and lens, the
manual edition date, if it came with the camera originally, is a
coincident reference too.
Is your Planar lens data engraved in a smaller ring around the lens
first element or is it engraved in a bigger ring around the lens
barrel edge?