[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35 mm SLR Flange focal distance

  • From: Bigler Emmanuel <bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 18:32:07 +0200

Hello All

I think that I have in hands the proper data allowing to solve the Mystery of the Rollei 35 mm SLR Flange Focal Distance, thanks to Gérard Métrot, our French Rollei expert and repair technician who just sent me the Official Rollei Factory Specs as of 1972.

flange focal distance = distance between the lens bayonet seat and the focal point = 44,67 mm (an official Braunswcheiger spec _should_ have a comma as a decimal separator ;-) )

back focal distance = distance between the last lens vertex and the focal point = 44,50 mm

Hence we get the clue for the "variable" figures quoted on the 'net

1/ confusion between flange focal distance (mechanical - bayonet seat) and back focal distance (optical - lens vertex)

2/ flange focal distance = 44,67 mm explains why some documents mention 44.6 and some other 44.7

3/ those Rollei figures are not really related to the M42x1 flange focal distance = "register" in English, quoted as 45.46 mm (not really close to 44.67) in this other document:
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

I home, Dirk-Roger that you can now have a quiet sleep.
--
Emmanuel