[rollei_list] Re: Refurbished Rolleicord and re-stitching

  • From: Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:59:57 +0200

From Richard Knoppow about restitching a leather case :
Restitching is not at all difficult. There are a couple of approaches, one is the "double needle" method, which pretty much duplicates machine stitching,

I have fabricated leather cases for lenses using the manual double needle method. This method yields something which is actually different from what a machine does. In French we call it "saddler's stitching" (couture au point de sellier). In principe the needles shoud not be sharp and you should pass both needles at the same time through the pre-punched leather. So this is technique, in principle, is perfect for restitching an existing case with exitsting holes... provided that the leather is not rotted as Richard says. Doing so you get a much stronger stitch than with a machine. With a machine, both threads pull on each other ; when one thread is damaged, the whole stitch can go off very easily whereas the manual double-needle point is much more wear-resistant, both threads are in fact independant.

I should try to make pictures of my home-made leather cases and post an image somewhere.

--
Emmanuel from France