[rollei_list] Re: Prochnow's Rollei Report II 2008 third rev ed.

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:31:44 -0300

2010/10/26 Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>:
"...> Regarding the tele rollei :
> The new 4,0FT must have a different focusing mechanism since the
> closest focusing distance is now 1.3 metre.
>
> The old R-TLR tele had a closest focusing distance of 2.6 metre,
> almost exactly what you would extrapolate by keeping the same amount
> of travel of the front panel for a 80 mm focusing at 0.9 metre (the
> minimum distance increasses like the square of the focal length,
> .9*(135/80)^2 is about 2.6 metre)
>
> The amount of travel required to focus from infinity down to 1.3 metre
> for a 135mm lens is 14 mm, this is almost twice the actual value of
> the standard R-TLR.
>
> So either it is a different cam with 14 mm of travel, or another
> different focusing system, but it cannot be exactly the same cam as
> used on a standard (and tele) R-TLR.

Thanks Emmanuel.
I wrote that the FT focusing system looks very similar regarding the
traditional Rollei TLR focusing system but I did not write it was
identical, however the FT focusing system shown in the 2007 F&H
photographs (I quoted them previously) most parts  look _identical_
regarding the focusing system used for the TLR from the first
Rolleicord in 1933 and then it must be a different cam  and not a
different focusing system (one of the cams is visible in part in the
second photograph).
The FT minimal focusing distance is not 1,3m, it is 1,5m; the FT Tele-
Xenar is a new dedicated design for the FT only.