[rollei_list] Photoshop question: Saving of very large images

  • From: Dirk-Roger Schmitt <Dirk-Roger.Schmitt@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:05:58 +0100

Hi folks,

I have a special problem with Photoshop CS. I am  scanning all my 6x6
slides at 4800 dpi and get an image with a size of appr. 300 MB.
After some tweaking in Photoshop, I want to save it as JPG, with the JPG
option "baseline optimized" instead of "baseline standard" to get a
slightly smaller JPG file size.

Although this option did work during the last months on my computer, since
one week it does not work any more on the same computer.
Everytime a get a error message "saving of photo not possible due to too
small RAM size".

However, my Ram has a size of 1.7 GB.

In the "edit" menue of Photoshop "ram and cache" I tried to assign
different volumes of this ram to Photoshop, from 50 % to 90 %, but this did
not help.

During the processing Photoshop is doing with the image I observe the ram
use in the Windows task manager, and only 10 % of the ram are used at any time.

How can it come that Photoshop generates this error message? Is this a well
known problem of Photoshop?

Has anybody an idea what I can do?

Thanks a lot

Dirk