[rollei_list] Re: Photo of Press Photographers Using Rolleiflex's

  • From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 02:37:47 -0800

Richard Knoppow wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Wyman" <davewyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 12:30 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Photo of Press Photographers Using Rolleiflex's

There are, I think, three terrific photo shows at the Getty - the Weegee and press photography shows mentioned by Richard, and a show of architectural photographer Julius Shulman's work. I especially liked the photo of the Picwood Theater, at Pico and Westwood Blvds in Los Angeles, my neighborhood theater when I was a kid.

Sometimes when I visit the Getty I bring a Rolleiflex, and I hang it off my neck in its original case - it always garners a comment or two.

Dave

I didn't see the Shulman exhibit, I wish I'd known it was there. Maybe a return trip is in order. I strongly recommend visiting the Getty to anyone visiting Los Angeles. They have recently re-opened the original museum on the bluff above the Coast Highway. The Getty is at http://www.getty.edu

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I assume they have also re-established the "by appointment only" rules?

I used to live just 1/4 mile up the hill from the old Getty, but like many locals, I only visited it twice. If it's too handy, you rationalize that you can go anytime you want...and end up not going much at all!

One of my 'must see's' in London is The Tate, but I don't visit my own museums nearby! <g>

keith