[rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions: imagined or real lightness of being in the 3.5s
- From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
- To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:08:53 -0500
Allen et al.
This is exaclty my impression too - within the E series. I started out with a 2.8E in Minnesota and when I got the 3.5E here in Vermont it seemed lighter and more compact and easier to handle even though it doesn't have the built-in meter. Still want to upgrade to an F mostly for the 24 exposure option and more convenient meter.One reason I prefer f 3.5 versions to the f 2.8s in the various Rolleimodels was my clear impression that the f 2.8s were noticeably heavier.
I also am amazed how much the 75mm captures. I was testing a Contax IIIa with 1.5/50mm Sonnar last week while also shooting some Rolleiflex picturtes. I realized how much furter I had to step back with the Contax to get the entire building in the finder. Besides, the look through the 3.5E WL finder is so much more pleasurable than the Contax's fuzzily outline dim RF. (the Contax finder does beat an SM Leica though!)Eventually, I too was quite surprised to find the actual weight so close. Why it should have seemed otherwise remains mysterious. However, I very definitely prefer the 75 mm focal length, finding the 80 mm view a bit constricted in comparison.
Over years I have used several, including on Hasselblads, and never get entirely comfortableYet to try a Hassy. I like the SL66 (aside from its bulk). Can't be that differnet...(?!)with them.
My provisional explanation for this preference is that the first Rollei I ever used was a 1939 (?) Automat and I got imprinted, like a baby duck. That happens to me a lot in life. Allen Zak
Dont' dare to ask where else it happens in your life ;-) Jan --- Rollei List - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org
- Unsubscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org
- Online, searchable archives are available at http://www.freelists.org/archives/rollei_list
Other related posts:
- » [rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions: imagined or real lightness of being in the 3.5s - Jan Decher
- » [rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions: imagined or real lightness of being in the 3.5s - Laurence Segil