[rollei_list] Re: OT: recommended reading

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:47:24 -0500

It's ok, Antonio, straight answers are hard to come by anywhere. And maybe we shouldn't want them. My favorite Emily Dickinson quote is "Tell the truth, but tell it slant". It seems like most of us live by it, whether we mean to or not. I asked a hard question - or nobody on this list reads (hard to believe).

I am grateful for all these answers. I'm glad Adams' book was suggested - I was told by a friend (a retired photographer) not look for it for instruction, not just yet anyway, as it covers too much ground with too much OPINION - but reading Lance's recommendation, I'm going to go for it. I never heard of Andreas Feininger, so that will be another good place to look. My local library may have these, last time I visited it was with simple instructions in mind.

As for the apprenticeship that Slobodan recommends, I'm afraid that for the time (and I do mean time) being, it'll have to be at my local film processing & printing center, and the world wide web. I'm learning quite quickly how much of what I don't know is situational - I don't know that a book will teach to that - watching and helping a professional work would teach me a lot I'm sure.

What's wonderful about photography is how accessible it is, but when one wants more from it than well exposed snapshots, it is a difficult craft to master.

Again, thank you all, and if this thread produces more leads, the better.

Elias

On Dec 27, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Antonio Garcia Russell wrote:

I think you are consusing the fact that you can learn from the text, with it being specifically wirtten with an educational remit. You can develop your photography by looking at other peoples work and many other ways, but that is not what was being asked about. These online groups are great but rarely seem to give a straight answer to a simple question.

Saludos,
Antonio

antoniorussell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 27 Dec 2006, at 14:45, Choiliefan@xxxxxxx wrote: