[rollei_list] Re: OT Very OT, 2017 Murder on the Orient Express

  • From: Don Williams <3237daw@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 21:31:52 -0500

At 08:21 PM 5/22/2018, Richard wrote, in part:

I have not seen a movie for a long time and can't hear any more. I consider digital movies to be television no matter how large the theater.

I had some slight interaction with Qualcomm when they were teaming Kodak to make digital movies. They did one and dropped the idea. .The advantage, of course, was freight and freight safety. The disadvantage was the cost to install new projection systems. I think they used TI DLP.

(They had to put the picture on one hard drive and the sound on another one. That was in year 2000 and storage has changed a lot. The Qualcomm engineers were in the projection booth.)

Based on that interaction and some sort of a contract I had with Lucas I later went to a variety of digital movies in the San Diego area and reported on image and sound quality. Lucas did that as a business line at one time. Several times I walked up onto the stage to see the image close up and was surprised that I couldn't see the pixels.

Now, on a different topic . . . Panoramas-

I mentioned that I did some tests just hand held. I should say that the distances to the image of interest was great enough that the center of rotation was not a factor.

Sadly, Murder is not on the upcoming TCM air schedules, just the trailer is available.

DAW~