[rollei_list] Re: OT: Talk Like a Pirate Day

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:32:54 -0400

My theory is that "Talk Like A Pirate" actually means to talk like Robert Newton's Long John Silver character in the 1950 Disney film, "Treasure Island," certainly the "Arrrgh" sound. Until then, none of the pirates I knew ever used that exclamation. After, they all did. This was probably similar to how dime western novels influenced actual cowboy behavior in the old west. Modern piracy has not preserved the heritage of that colorful argot, however.