[rollei_list] OT: Singing Guys!

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:30:08 -0500

At 12:10 AM 1/11/2010, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>Not a singing seaman but I am at present a choirboy. A bass.
>Though not in the religious sense but "classical" we're doing  the Mozart
>Requiem in Brooklyn.

I was then a Soprano, but I did the Mozart Requiem "in memory of Sir Winston Churchill upon the occasion of his death" at Trinity Cathedral in Pittsburgh back in '65. The Dean at that time was a WWII Royal Parachute Regiment veteran who wore his ribbons in the British and Canadian style on his surplice. He dropped at Normandy but always assuerd us that he "overslept and missed MARKET-GARDEN".

That was a bad year as my voice was changing. Canon Hamer granted me mercy the following summer by moving me into the Tenors, where I remained until I moved to San Francisco, where I was cast as a bass. I spent years as a Soprano, years as a Tenor, and years as a Bass. I spent about two weeks as an alto singing descant.

The Bassi are always the heavies in Opera.  So, Mark, you and I are heavies!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!