[rollei_list] Re: OT: Replacing Mercury Cells in a Nikon F

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 19:50:21 -0700

It takes about 1/10th the mercury to make a PX
625 as that which goes into a "Compact Fluorescent Light". Go figure.

Me? I use silver-oxide cells and my slides come out just fine.

Marc

This is a great puzzle. Someone told me that there is a recycling program for fluorescent lamps but not for mercury cells. If that is why there are no mercury cells on the market it should be remedied. I doubt if many fluorescent lamps, compact or tubular, get recycled by individuals despite the content of mercury and perhaps other toxic substances in the "phosphor" coatings. I have no idea how long the zinc cells will last but they are cheap and worth the effort. As you say mercury cells have a very flat discharge curve and extremely long life when not loaded. Mercury cells used to be used for bias cells in some electronic devices where their constant voltage and long life under very low load conditions were desirable. This is an application where other types of cells probably are not usable. Its not too difficult to make a voltage regulator which will put out virtually constant voltage of any desired value. A higher voltage battery is needed but any voltage higher than the regulated value will do. Such a regulator could probably be fitted into the case of the Nikon finder or into most other devices using mercury cells. I think regulator is what you mean by bridge which is something else.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx