[rollei_list] OT: Politics

  • From: Allan Derickson <a_derickson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 18:21:05 -0800

I'm a guy who generally thinks discussing politics is boring and
unproductive but I think the country has hit a new low in civility in
political debate.

I find myself on the outside of most discussions because of my eclectic
views.

Near the end of my working life with retirement in sight I'm not going to
quite make my goal of a six-figure salary yet I must admit I'm not wanting
for anything. I think my taxes are embarrassingly low, especially since we
are at war and asking our young citizens to both put their lives on the line
and pay the tab at a future date. Paying taxes to adequately fund the
government is a patriotic duty right up there with serving in the Military
and I find incredulous the claim that our taxes are too high at this point
in time. I have lived in places where taxes are high and places where taxes
are low and have come to the conclusion that life is better where taxes are
higher. You have good roads, nice parks, adequate police, good schools, and
services for the less fortunate.

I was brought up to understand that the fortunate took care of the less
fortunate. You didn't quibble about why someone was down, you just helped
them out. It's just the right thing to do.

I believe in personal freedom. Not absolute freedom to do whatever the hell
you want at the expense of the next guy but freedom to live your life
without a lot of intrusion. These days the intrusion is not so much from the
government but from corporations. Corporations are amoral and not to be
trusted. I want government to keep them on a tight rein. On the other hand I
want lawmakers to keep a copy of the Bill of Rights in front of them the
whole time they are considering bills. How could they possibly justify
something like the so-called "Patriotic Act". It is anything but!

So Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! In the New Year, or in New
Years to come, I sincerely hope you pay more in taxes but have more freedom
to spend the lesser amount you are left with.

Allan