[rollei_list] Re: OT Old Time Radio Serials

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:58:41 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Jensen" <jwjensen356@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:29 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT Old Time Radio Serials

I remember the show as being a Saturday morning
broadcast (correct?).

When I took an Alaska cruise I spotted a Sgt. Preston
store in Skagway.  Full of memorabilia.  I bought a
cassette album of shows.

John

It may have depended on where you were. When I was a kid "Challenge of the Yukon" was a dinnertime show. My memory is that it was MWF with "The Green Hornet" on alternate days, or, perhaps it was the LR which was three a week with one of the above alternating. WXYZ also carried "Sky King" a Chicago origination which may have alternated with one of the above although I think it alternated with "Jack Armstrong". Someday I will see if the L.A. public library has old Detroit papers in its holdings and look up the radio scheduals. I am pretty sure all of these shows were in the 5PM to 6PM slot. The kids serials seem to have been mostly on ABC. Mutual had "Superman" and maybe a couple of others, I don't remember any on CBS or NBC. Maybe they were just not carried in Detroit. I remember hearing "Superman" on some distant station, probably WIBC in Indianapolis, for some reason I don't remember hearing it on CKLW, the Detroit (actually Windsor, Ontario) Mutual Affil. There may also have been a time conflict with some other show. This is all now about sixty years ago. How naive we all were.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx